Thursday, September 25, 2008

Thoughts on the Future and MM Hunters

As I've been reading around on the blogs that I've come across, I am really surprised at the number of blogs pertaining to MM Hunters. Now, I have to admit, this is and isn't surprising. I happen to know someone very well that plays MM and they are currenlty in SSC/TK content and she gushes about what she can do. (This is where I really wish I was older than my current level.) Huge 6K+ Crits and solid DPS numbers.

**shrugs**

Hmm.... Now I have seen this over and over, and lets not talk about how often I've read it, but huge hits like that generate a lot of aggro. On my level 70 shammy, I was in Kara and watched our groups Ret Pally hit like that on Atumen's Horse. Know what happened to him? That's right, he died on the bosses very next hit. In fact I see this pally dead a lot in raids. Now, talking to other players that have played MM Hunters, there is a general trend of talk, they do pull aggro more than they would like. So if you don't have a uber awesome tank, your gonna see that boss run over and lay down some awesome "smackdown" and that will be the end of your DPS run for that boss.

My perspective on this subject is skewed from a hunters perspective because I haven't been behind the controls in situations like this yet. I have seen BM hunters in raids absolutely dominate number wise, even when they are having to do a lot of CC. So what makes MM so interesting then? I know a lot of players like it in PVP, but if your shooting someone who has a lot of resilience that isn't going to help all that much. And as strange as this will sound, the only hunters that my shammy has ever had problems with in the BG's are Survival hunters. From a standpoint of leveling BM, I can say for sure, BM does allow you to handle a lot of things that other classes have difficulty with (expect maybe, Warlocks). Given the number of times now that I have survived fights where I was greatly outnumbered by higher level mobs than me, I can say having a pet that can stay alive and kill a mob on it's own has serious merit.

With the proposed changes coming in Lich King for hunters and their pets I am totally chomping at the bit to get into it and play there. I can already see me having my boar, just because he's been with me since the start, my cat and a gorilla. And since they are adding a new stable slot I can tinker around until I find a good utility pet. What this is going to mean for me, as a BM is more options and strategies for leveling and playing. What I have to wonder though is how the changes will affect MM hunters? Of note, I see that a lot of the blogging MM hunters are also in guilds that are in Hyjal/Bt or Sunwell this does make some sense as the hunter gear at T6 level does lend itself more to MM hunters than BM hunters. Hmmm....

Our world is changing again. And we'll change with it, all I can say for now is that I await Lich King with a lot of anxiousness to see the impact it will have on the game. WOW is evolving slowly, but as with a lot of people, is the evolution for the best? So far, it all looks good, especially for hunters.


Happy Hunting. :D

2 comments:

Pike said...

In my experience, people that play MM, do so because of either one of two reasons (or perhaps both): 1.) they dislike having to rely so much on the pet (i.e., if your pet dies, so does a huge chunk of your DPS), and 2.) the rotation is more challenging. With BM you just go Auto/Steady/Auto/Steady/et al., with MM you have to use your other shots, and a lot of people really appreciate that aspect of it.

Zuluki said...

Thank you so much for you comment. I hadn't thought of the utilizing the different shots available to hunters as I only usually use one 3 or 4 at the most right now. :D