Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Howling Fjord and Quests

So I found my self going through more quests in Howling Fjord this morning and I was up in the North near where you enter Grizzly Hills questing. I came out of the quests with a tone of mats from killing so many elementals and I also walked away with a very good impression of the area and the quests there. While I like Borean Tundra, I feel too often that the quests there were just thrown out there onto the board and that no one really paid all that much attention to where they landed. I spend as much time moving from one place to the next as I do actually trying to complete the quests. And to add to that, there is not a lot of continuity to the stories being told in the quests. Where as in the Howling Fjord, someone took the time to set up the quests in a much more rational manner and the story lines are a whole lot better. I am at a point though where I need to research into getting all my FP's in Northrend connected to each other somehow. I keep getting new FP's but I still have to go back to Undercity and Orgrimmar to move between Borean Tundra and Howling Fjord. This will save me so much time!

Another thing I am beginnig to notice, at least on my server. Where did all the Horde go in Northrend? Unless I am in one of the major cities, I never see any other Horde players questing on my server. I do see the occasional comment in general or trade chat, but beyond that it seems as if no one is on. Not that this matters to me all that much, but there have been times it would have been nice to group with someone to go through some of the areas that have large populations of mobs packed fairly closely together and on a fast reset timer. I'm finding in a couple of places like this, that I cannot kill the mobs fast enough to get my quest objectives done.

And Thanks to Brajana at Mend Pet for answering a question about 'Kill Shot' that had been lingering around in my brain. Which brings up another question that begs consideration. While questing I usually only use Serpent Sting and Autoshot on my of my kills unless I pick up more than one mob. Then I will use Multishot and then Volley once or twice. On harder kills such as Named mobs or Elite mobs I'll start with Serpent Sting then spam Steady Shot until dead. I find that when I use shots other than Serpent Sting I will have to turn on Aspect of the Viper if I want to keep moving from mob to mob. This isn't such a big deal really, but it does slow me down just a little bit as I am doing less damage. So my question is, what shots or rotations seem to be ideal for different situations?

Zulu

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steady, Steady, Steady!

Even on regular mobs you should be using it, it will take them down much faster.

In fact, I don't even bother with Serpent Sting on regular mobs, because it's pretty costly mana-wise and usually the mobs are down before it goes through it's full duration.

Using Steady will mean you'll need to regen more often, but what I tend to do is kill mobs using Auto and Steady (if I have my gorrila, I will instead pick up 3-5 mobs and Volley them). When I finally run out of mana (usually after 10-15 mobs) I switch on Aspect of the Viper and pop my haste trinket/Rapid Fire/Berserking and autoshot down 1 mob with my pet, which fills me back up to 100% mana. Rinse, repeat. :)

Also, I try to remember to put Aspect of the Viper on when I'm traveling between places, if I'm running low on mana. So while I'm on my mount or running, I regen a little bit more. Just have to remember to switch out again afterwards!

Hope that helps.

Zuluki said...

Lol, Okay, I'll take your advice and see if it works for me. But I will also keep in mind Steady Shot is on the list to get nerfed by 10% in the upcoming patch. :(

Anonymous said...

Yup, didn't learn that til after my post. Still, I don't think the 10% will be enough to change the way I play it, since Steady Shot is just additional damage on top of auto.

Might have to take a little longer on 1 mob to regen my mana every 10 mobs, but I'm taking those other 10 down still a lot quicker than I would without it! :)

Look forward to hearing how it goes for ya!

Anonymous said...

I am a Marksman, and I suspect I may be among a dying breed in this. My shot rotation, in its simplest form, involves, as Brajana cites, steady shot as often as possible. As a marksman, however, I hit quite hard, so often I can fit only one, perhaps two, steady shots in before my quarry tastes dirt. Not having all the pet-perks of a Beastmaster, my pet does not hold aggro nearly as well either, so I often end up kiting my quarry in a small circle as it chases me. This, sadly, makes non-instant shots such as steady shot less useful...

That said, I begin every fight with a serpent sting, and generally send a chimera shot in the direction of my quarry as soon as they've reached approximately 50% health. I am the first to confess a long time love affair with arcane shot, and stand firmly to my belief that it is a kite-flyer's greatest friend... It does indeed cost quite a spot of mana, but as an instant shot that can crit upwards of 5,000, I consider it mana well spent ;-)

Kill shot is great for boss fights, flagrantly grandiose quantities of overkill, and impressing the ladies ;-)